OUT OF STOCK
Furniture Design Contest
As we step into our 16th anniversary, OUT OF STOCK continues to challenge ourselves and give back to our society.
The OUT OF STOCK Furniture Design Contest 2023 is committed to providing opportunities and recognizing more talents in Hong Kong, with a focus on supporting and showcasing the creativity of youth who may not have had the chance to do so before. Through this contest, we hope to provide a global platform for designers from different backgrounds to communicate and showcase their works. Join us and be part of a community that values innovation, creativity, and collaboration.
Thanks to all talented designers who have submitted your applications. We would like to express our greatest appreciation to your time and effort put into your design. It was a wonderful experience for us to see a lot of creative works and meet passionate designers of different backgrounds and exchanged ideas.
After the professional review by our judging panel, the winners of the contest were finally selected.
Winner: Button Chair
Designer: So Lok Man
Button chair is a piece of furniture that allows users to interchange the backrest part. The design aims to create a simple mechanism to remove the backrest easily, and also lets users to DIY their favorite color and style to fit in the room interior.
Merit Award: MOBA
Designer: ENNE Interior
MOBA is a mobility beverage bar and liquor station that can be used in various locations and people can enjoy liquor without space restriction.
Merit Award: THRILL
Designer: Shannon Chow
Thrill is a cat litter box, which embodies the enjoyable environment created by the "hooman" and cats. The feline turned their back towards “hoomans” when doing their business, where Thrill takes its form. The name Thrill refers to the sound cats make when they encounter well-liked scenarios or "hoomans".
Merit Award: Climbing Desk
Designer: Kennif Li
The climbing desk is a desk that shapes a culture of standing working in Hong Kong. Standing instead of sitting at your desk can help keep our body and mind active while working or studying and is one of the ways to reduce health-related problems due to prolonged sitting.
Winning Design Showcasing in Tokyo
The winning design "Button Chair" has been displayed at the showroom of our prestigious Japanese furniture brand partner, Nissin Furniture Crafters, in Tokyo from December 2023 to January 2024! It was indeed our great pleasure to showcase this design out of Hong Kong, and let this "Hong Kong design" be seen by more people around the world.
What's more? All the winning designs with details of their concept and ideas will all be gathered again and showcased at OUT OF STOCK - THE BASE in coming February.
Stay tuned to our social media (FB & IG: @outofstockhk) for more exciting news and updates!
Details of OUT OF STOCK Furniture Design Contest 2023
Furniture Production Sharing & Basic Woodworking Workshop (Fully Booked)
Twenty One from Eight 廿一由八
Founded in 2014, Twenty One From Eight specializes in creating high quality custom-made wood furniture and decor. They are committed to producing poetic design, making beautiful pieces that endure, inspire and aspire to be inherited.
Twenty One from Eight will provide a woodworking sharing for all applicants, on furniture production's knowledge.
- Overview of wood furniture techniques, tools and basic joinery
- Hands-on practice for participants to try out tools
- Make your own simple joint
Date: 16 July, 2023 (SUN)
Time: 11am - 1pm
Location: Twenty One from Eight Workshop, Ngau Tau Kok, Kowloon
Fee: HKD $200 per person
Limited quota. First-come, first-served!
( Registration for this workshop is now closed. Thank you for your interest and please stay tuned for future opportunities.)
Cheung Mei Design Workshop 長尾工作室
Woodcraft workshop in Hong Kong - Produce furnitures from recycled materials, like wooden cardboard, wine boxes and timber broken in typhoon, etc.
Introducing Our Judges
Karimoku Furniture Inc.
- Japan’s leading wooden furniture manufacturer founded in 1940.
- Renowned for their high quality, modern furniture pieces crafted using sustainable and environmentally responsible materials.
- Committed to its original concept of high-tech, high-touch furniture made in Japan highlights the skills and artistry of their craftsmen.
Nissin Furniture Crafters
- Wooden furniture manufacturer from Hida Takayama, Japan.
- Over 70 years of experience in creating high-quality pieces.
- Offer a wide range of furniture style, from traditional to modern, and are known for their exceptional craftsmanship and attention to details.
- Art Director since 1984
- Winner of the Best Art Director of The 40th Hong Kong Film Awards and The 15th Asian Film Awards for Limbo (2021).
- Winner of The 29th Hong Kong Film Awards for Bodyguards and Assassins (2009).
- Winner of The 19th Hong Kong Film Awards for Purple Storm (2000).
- Registered Architect (HKIA, ARB)
- Founder of Elevate Limited, an award-winning Hong Kong based interior design studio.
- Acting Senior Lecturer
- Programme Leader of Higher Diploma in Furniture and Lifestyle Product Design, Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI)
- HKDI is a leading design institution in Hong Kong that offers a wide range of design programs and is committed to nurturing creative talents in the field of design.
Dr. Brian Y.H. LEE
- Associate Professor of Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Programmer Leader of BA (Hons) in Product Design, Lab Leader of Asian Lifestyle Research Lab
- PolyU Design has been an important hub of design education and research for Hong Kong. The School was ranked 15th on the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings® by Subject - Art and Design in 2020.
More members to be announced...
Terms & Conditions of "OUT OF STOCK Furniture Design Contest 2023" (the "Contest")
1. Twenty One From Eight, Cheung Mei Design Workshop and Outofstock Design Group Limited ("OUT OF STOCK") reserve the right to suspend, revise or terminate the above offers (Furniture Production Training Session and Prototype Production Offer) at any time and to amend the terms and conditions thereof from time to time. In case of any dispute, the decision of Twenty One from Eight, Cheung Mei Design Workshop and OUT OF STOCK shall be final.
2. OUT OF STOCK reserves the right to cancel, in part or in whole, postpone or bring forward the Contest for any reason and is not obliged to reimburse the Applicant for any expenses related to such cancellation.
3. OUT OF STOCK reserves the right to interpret and amend the terms and conditions of this Contest, and reserves the right of the final decision.
OUT OF STOCK - THE BASE
地址：觀塘觀塘道 398 - 402 號 Eastcore 8 樓 01-03 室
（觀塘港鐵站 A 出口步行約 5 分鐘）
營業時間：星期一至日及公眾假期 上午11:00 - 晚上7:00